UN must think something about this Lack of Bindingness

Home Peer Review UN must think something about this Lack of Bindingness

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Annesha Kar Gupta Annesha Kar Gupta 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Annesha Kar Gupta
    Annesha Kar Gupta
    Participant

If any country failed to complied with the goals of SDG, what UN can do?

Can UN compel that sovereign country?

International law says “NO” because sovereignty makes every country equal & unquestionable by any organization.

International relation can interfere, but what the status under international law, if any country after signing treaty refuses to implement?

The answer is “NOTHING”.

United Nation must think about this issue with extreme care, because this lack of power can frustrate every SDG goal.

I would love to here from my friends, what  they are thinking about this challenge of United Nation?

Profile photo of luissega
    luissega
    Participant

Hi Annesha.

I’m going to tell you what I think about non-compliance of SDG.

First of all, I’d ask if they’re achievable and complementary.

If for instance we ask for both economic growth, limit on resources consumption and fight against Climate Change, we may be trying to implement aims that aren’t possible and complementary. They’re contradictory and go against each other.

If we ask poor countries to limit economic growth we try an impossible aim. If we don’t cut World Population growth, poverty will not decrease. We should try to see what is achievable.

I repeat we should try to refocus our endeavour of SDG by rating their importance, as I’ve already mentioned:

What is urgent is to limit poverty, heealthcare and hunger (goal 1, 2 and 3). In a technified world a good education is needed (goal 4). This first group of goals are the most important ones. Reduced worlwide population is needed by strong education (limiting household members) is absolutely needed and States involvement in Education (I think South Korea is an example to the World).

Goals 13 to 15 try to limit Climate Change and improve quality of life on the Earth and availability of resources IS ATHE SAME OR EVEN UPPER LEVEL. It’s even much more important since countries will be more affected and mass migration and wars can be their result.

The following ones are of lesser relative importance.

Goals 7 to 8 and 12 have to do with economic conditions and challenges. I think we must work to rebalance our World. Western countries are stagnant and the only countries growing are developping ones. Anyway I don’t believe they’re sustainable within a World with fewer resources and Climatic changes like these ones.

Goals 10 and 16 (gender and income equality) deal with laws and State and International rules. These SDG are important to make our societies stronger social blocs with more solidarity among classes. They can alleviate stagnation pains. Upcoming pension crisis of old people will have to be dealt will carefully.

Goal 17 try to find ways of callaboration among players. It’s an intermediate step to succeed in other important challenges.

If we redistribute goals in groups we can discuss further and reach appropiate conclusions

In my opinion, the only way to make SDG achievable, once the’re clear and non-contradictory, is to adapt them to countries possibilities and to “sell” them as beneficial to them. Enforcement is not an option.

Profile photo of Dagny
    Dagny
    Participant

Very good luissega

Other problems getting different cultures and religions to agree on goals which are not of common priority make it very difficult if not impossible to get the average worker to comply. Human nature is not consistent and does not conform to the reward of consumerism as a motivation of life. Survival takes a front seat to politician propaganda. Education has to be meaningful to the local community not pie in the sky international manipulation.

luissega
    Participant

Thanks Dagny for your comments.

Dear Annesha, you say “…Can UN compel that sovereign country?. International law says “NO” because sovereignty makes every country equal & unquestionable by any organization…”.

What about European Union example?. All member states resigned some of their sovereignty to a common government and law. Countries are being assembled in blocs and even if International law cannot force SDG implementation country-by-country, blocs agreements certainly introduce loss of sovereignty. After all, this one is becoming something of the past, many multinational corporations being more powerful that small or medium-size states.

May I take the advantage to inform you that tomorrow March 8 there’s in Spain a women protest strike to claim for gender equality, one of the SD goals and to commemorate Women civil-rights date. Congratulations in advance.

Annesha Kar Gupta
      Participant

Hello Luissega,

The composition of EU & UN differs because EU is a supra-national body. Still EU has two shortcomings.

Firstly, in Ullah’s case Lord Phillips said that a domestic court would normally apply the principles established by the ECtHR, but where there was a failure of the Strasbourg court to appreciate and accommodate ‘our domestic process’, then the UKSC could decline to follow a ruling of the ECtHR. This later on was confirmed in Chester. So, even though EU holds our sovereign power for now, it cannot compel us for implementation.

Secondly, in Blackburn v Attorney General ([1971] 2 All ER, Lord Denning held in three situation UK is from EU rulings, are as follows:-
      1) When there is later Act enacted by UK Parliament, then UK courts must apply that legislation because it must be presumed that while enacting the law, UK Parliament kept the EU laws in their mind;
      2) When there is later judgment or precedent decided by any UK Court, then UK courts must apply that precedent because it must be presumed that while deciding the law, UK court kept the EU laws in their mind; &
      3) Finally, in absence of the abovementioned two principles UK courts must not conflict with EU rulings.

It is evident that EU cannot do anything, even though it holds our sovereign power. Now, the question remains, UN or EU who is in better position, if we want to ascertain whether UN actually lacks implementing power or not. And the answer is EU is in better position because maybe optional, but countries surrender their sovereign power before EU. To become a member at UN, no country needs to surrender their sovereign power.

EU actually don’t require to hold sovereign power because it is an organization which only deals with business matters & matters connected to business, but UN is far deals with far more stronger purpose than EU. How, UN can promote SDG, if one country only signs the treaty & don’t work on it? By way of International Relation, UN can try to resolve this kind of problem by discussion, but what International law can do? Can international law challenge & compel any sovereign country? International law says “NO”. This reduces the chance of getting success in any mission UN.

Annesha Kar Gupta
      Participant

Another thing,

In India, woman’s day means gifts. Proud of England & Spain that they are really positively thinking about women.

Profile photo of Dagny
        Dagny
        Participant

If a culture does not recognize gender equality it has a long way to go to be a part of the international community. From the middle east to Indochina the lack of equality understanding keeps them in poverty. Women in India should refuse the gifts. They should be demanding equal rights.

luissega
    Participant

Annesha, I’m sorry. It’s a pity that in India, women’s day means gifts. I meant better.
    As for shortcomings in EU sovereignty, what in my opinion is important aren’t present laws or regulatory system or resistance by member States to surrender their particular powers but what EU represent for the future. For instance, the EURO as a currency represents a loss of monetary sovereignty. Defense, fiscal and banking sovereignty is going to be surrendered too. Can we foresee a similar loss of sovereingty in SDG guidelines in the near, medium or far future? The EU is now much more than an economic or trade bloc. Little by little, an idea of common political purpose is getting hold.

Profile photo of Dagny
    Dagny
    Participant

India #HerChoice: ‘I sterilised myself and didn’t tell my husband’The BBC’s Indian language services have produced a series, #HerChoice, that pulls together real life stories of 12 women in the country who have defied patriarchal norms and assumptions. Here are three of their stories:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-43313395

Profile photo of Dagny
    Dagny
    Participant

In his first reaction to Iranian women’s peaceful protests against compulsory hijab, Iran’s Supreme Leader has said these are “the outcome of the enemy’s widespread propaganda, and spending hefty sums in order to influence Iranian women’s attitude towards hijab.”

Women can not be equal if men determine their future.

Annesha Kar Gupta
    Participant

Hello Dagny & Luissega,

Yes, indeed. Some Indian women are misusing the protection given to them & some are not getting any protection. For example, 498A of Criminal Procedure Act says that if any woman after marriage become subject to physical or mental cruelty, then on complain of they will get police protection forthwith. Now, whenever one woman complains, police arrest forthwith everyone against he complaints. Most of the cases go to Magistrates court that daughter in complied against her bed-ridden & paralyses father in law or her husband who was in home at that time.Maybe Mother-in-law tortured, but she complied against all. Another type we can find, some year before, I heard a case in court where I heard that a child of 10 years old saying that her father, grand-mother & grand-father burnt down her mother. She was screaming that fire may kill her mother, but she didn’t understand that that was the intention. And finally, women’s day means gift. Amount of gift suffice the amount of love for younger couples. After marriage this gift also became a cause of divorce.

Difficult time is coming for India. It’s future is very difficult.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.