Corruption is another barrier to reach Sustainable Development Goals!

Home Peer Review Corruption is another barrier to reach Sustainable Development Goals!

This topic contains 23 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Annesha Kar Gupta Annesha Kar Gupta 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Annesha Kar Gupta
    Annesha Kar Gupta
    Participant

Hello all,

Kindly look at these charts attached below. If corruption could be removed 100% from the world, then the assurance to reach the goals of SDG became easiest.

If corruption could be removed, if we can became transparent that every single penny of international aid is used properly, or if we could account every undeclared money; then that was extremely helpful for us to reach our 1st goal of SDG means no poverty; 2nd goal of SDG means zero hunger; 3rd goal of SDG means good health & well being; 7th goal of SDG means affordable & clean energy; 8th goal of SDG means decent work & economic growth; 9th goals industry-innovation-infrastructure which will help us to indirectly to reduce inequality means 10th goal of SGD.

My friends, kindly share your thoughts.

Annesha

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of luissega
    luissega
    Participant

Annesaha, I’ve found a blog in the IMF concerning corruption in South America that may interest you. Explanation linking corruption and inequality, common acceptance of corruption in some countries (but not all) is very fruitful.

Corruption in Latin America: Taking Stock

Annesha Kar Gupta
      Participant

Hello Luissiga,

Thank you very much for this nice article. I am still researching on this aspect. I have one question?

Can gift be treated as bribe in case of business or negotiation? If for international negotiations UN ban presenting gifts that can stop a lot of corruption.

Like Britain where gift in considerations as bribe, if UN put a ban every international negotiation, a lot of corruption can be reduced.

Look at these charts please:-

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    luissega
    Participant

Well, maybe we can stop a lot of corruption if gifts are banned.

What I wonder is if this feasable. If you follow the rules and do not give gifts and your competitor doesn’t follow these rules and wins the contract, next time you will act as your competitors as well. I’m afraid that in international negotiations you should take into account not what is lawful in your own country but what is usual or allowed in your clients country.

Anyway, as I think you’re a lawyer and know much better than me, I trust in your judgement.

Profile photo of Dagny
    Dagny
    Participant

As long as humans have ego’s and emotions for greed there will be corruption with winners and losers. In the U.S. 90% of crime goes unpunished. The bigger the community the less chance that authors will find and arrest criminals. World wide globalism is not possible in the realm of human behavior. One size does not fit all and many cultures have very different views of what a crime is. The earth has finite resources so the more people dividing up the resources the less each gets.

What is sustainable today gets eroded by entropy in the future. Humans have to be more efficient in every aspect and continuously improve just to maintain the present quality of life. Sure science will find better ways to use the renewable resources but it always comes at a cost to the quality of life as we know it.

Nature has a pecking order based on the difference of ability of each human. This is nature as it is a natural act of survival.

Annesha Kar Gupta
    Participant

Hello Luissiga & Dagny,

Thank you for sharing both of yours thinking. I have something more to say now, after doing two months research on it.

Firstly, it arise absolutely from ego-greediness, but there are two kind of corruptions, namely, Western which relates to monetary corruption, & Asian corruption which relates to feeding family or friends or colleagues. For Asian corruption, I must say that nowadays, it is not limited only to non-monetary corruptions or feeding family or friends or colleagues, but monetary corruption is also highly increasing along with that.

Secondly, German social theorist Max Webner said that to remove corruption or to have a check on it, countries need well-functioned rule of law culture along with democracy.

Now, Rule of law has thee ingredients:-

• unlimited liberty;
    • controlled ensured rights; &
    • equal justice to everyone.

If I apply this situation to Western & Asian corruptions, then we will be able to find that Asian corruption as uncontrollable because of their dominating behaviour, weak educational system, & power loving culture. This power loving culture is growing because of lack of equality, freedom of expression. Unless people can dominate others, their voice cannot be heard. For that Asians need power which they believe lies in money. How can you change this thinking? They need to be open-mind, adaptable & flexible. Only an ethical education can. Otherwise, if one wants to use stricter rues, then that will break ultimately following by a civil war.

Rather, on the other side, Western corruption can be better reduced easily because they have a long standing culture of ethical education which give them open-mind, flexibility & adaptability.

Finally, which I want to deal specially that why there isn’t any definition in United Nation’s context about corruption? UN is an organization which can be described as “the only legally binding universal anti-corruption instruments”. Being itself non-corrupted is not enough, specially when we have SDG goals. Why the founder of UNCAC is unable to agree with definition of corruption?

There are many question which UN need to deal with. They need to draw a treaty because corruption or unaccounted money is a great resource towards building of our SDG goals.

On one limb, we need to stop traditional corruption & introduce equality before law; & on the second limb, we need to stop Western corruption & need to bring those unaccounted monies into the account of United Nation which UN can invest for SDG goals no poverty; zero hunger; good health & well being;  affordable & clean energy; decent work & economic growth; industry-innovation-infrastructure.

Kindly share all of yours thoughts please.

Profile photo of Dagny
      Dagny
      Participant

Western corruption is based in finite resources and lack of standard culture of morals and ethics. Since in democracy many different people expect to have liberty and freedom a chaos prevents agreement. Lack of common good because good is individual and not universal renders laws impossible to maintain. The lack of resources results in selective enforcement. The corrupt education system does not give the children the tools to question the system but rather teaches job skills and behavior control. The tax system is behavior control to enrich the leading class at the expense of the lower worker. It is more about ego than greed. The history of labor disputes or civil rights revolts is a way to adjust propaganda of the press and media to use psychology and other mass manipulation skills to keep those people in power that know how to exploit the system.

Humans are far from being the same and to suggest SDG to make them the same would require a system to edit their genetic code. Nature of evolution is to have survival of the genes that best fit the environment corrupt or not.

Annesha Kar Gupta
    Participant

Hello Dagny,

Western corruption is based on economic corruption. They have good morality. It’s Asian corruption where  lack of standard culture of morals and ethics are cause of corruption.

Profile photo of Dagny
      Dagny
      Participant

Can you explain all the sex scandals and the depression that are needing drugs to cope by those leaders that do not need more money?

Studies show after about $100,000 a year more money does not make people more happy.

Annesha Kar Gupta
    Participant

Dagny,

What I am trying to say is that if you compare between Western & Asian corruption, you can find that Western corruption is controllable, but Asian corruption are highly doutable whether it can be controlled at all or not.

Good governance is one aim of SDG. Removal of corruption is necessary part of good governance. Other SDG agenda cannot address the problem of efficiency, development, capacity, accountability, legitimacy etc.

UN must give a specific definition of corruption & a treaty about its removal. Otherwise SDG will not get its proper benefit.

Profile photo of Dagny
      Dagny
      Participant

I live in the west and grew up in New York City the home of the UN. Corruption is part of the human ability to survive. It is not controllable in the west as those with higher cognitive ability use psychology over the less endowed to control them. The whole system of governance produces winners and losers. At best the survivors are those genes that can find success in the environment. From the police on the beat to corporate leaders to politician leaders the west is corrupt. The U.S. has more people in prison than any country and still more murders and corruption.

People use drugs and distractions to avoid having to be moral and put a stop to cultural ethical corruption. The cultures of different parts of the world have different rules in their culture that are corruption in other cultures. With billions of corrupt individuals accountability is impossible. The UN have failed to stop wars and other corruption. It can not achieve sustainable development as long as humans are different and follow different cultures and religions. Any world wide organization that wants harmony between the nature of earth and humanity needs to consider the use of natural resources, living conditions and population. It can not be achieve when so many humans want to promote their genes.

If SDG does not take into account the big picture it is a failure, never to be anything but a sideline of corruption to keep some people busy and out of the power struggle.

Annesha Kar Gupta
    Participant

Hello Dagny,

Yes indeed, just this was I wanted to say. UN needs to take strong steps. I know about UK, USA-you can find hardly any corruption.

The technic use by UK is to give preference to students those who attended elite class school. It has a reason because they taught in a very different & more rigorous way than others. They develop in a different manner. This is just for our better future.

Secondly, the way USA use is networking which is essential for good governance & promoting good governance is one aim of SDG.

UN must thing seriously about this issue.

Profile photo of Christy Read
      Christy Read
      Participant

You are so right, Dagny. Corruption in the ‘West’ is as prevalent as it is anywhere else. probably worse, because, as you said. more sophisticated methods are employed. And, of course, it is in human nature. If you can get something cheaper or easier by not obeying the rules, or even your conscience, it is always attractive to a large segment of the population

Profile photo of Dagny
      Dagny
      Participant

Do you think an aristocrat class of connected/elite are going to promote intelligent lower classes to their ranks when they have family members that they have better connections with? In the U.S it is the connected campaign contributors, people that get put into leadership roles over government departments even with no experience in that sector. It is the corporations and big money people that lobby congress to get laws passed in their favor. The media has an agenda to make profits and control public opinion, do you think they are altruistic or care about the health and goodwill of the ignorant worker?

Education run by the governance is for the benefit of those who are the main beneficiaries of the labor force. They do not want to be challenged by demonstrations wanting more equality. Do you think the low class has the ability to give the governance advice that would lower the power and wealth of the governance? This week one leader expressed his view of the future that people needed to have more children to pay for their future social security. You expressed the view that investment by government can not be profitable. It is just a matter of time that the bubble will burst.

Annesha Kar Gupta
    Participant

Hello Dagny,

Definitely I didn’t say that. Talent is everywhere. Talent don’t depend on class. You misunderstood my words.

luissega
    Participant

Hello Annesha, Dagny, Christy

Can I add my opinioon to your comments?

You say Annesha that talent does not depend on class. Intelligence or smartness are compatible among all the people, notwithstanding their income. However, culture depends on the money spent of people, and wealthy classes are putting money to ensure their own people get the upper hand in social power. Both natural intelligence and culture in my opinion are real talent, but actual beneficiaries turn out to be the richest people not the poorest.

You say Dagny that upper classes aren’t interested in equality. That’s right, In fact it’s commonly assumed inequality had two factors: Globalisation and decline of labor unions. In both issues corporations gained much more than labor and worker per capita income stagnated or was reduced (not to mention high levels of unemployment).

As for the fact of UN involvement in fighting corruption, I’m at odds. I don’t feel it has the authority of power to avoid corrupted practices. First of all a real commonly assumed idea of corruption must be agreed on. Secondly, international laws are to collect this idea and make people responsible for it. I think it’s up to the States to implement laws with SDG guidelines.

Annesha Kar Gupta
    Participant

I thank you & highly appreciate your understanding Luissega,

All that I wanted to say that there are four famous terms of corruption, from which two terms are “Networking” of USA & British “Old school tie” cannot be treated as corruption.

Profile photo of Dagny
      Dagny
      Participant

Have you read, “A theory of Justice by Rawls? Your view is because of culture differences that the UN can not resolve. If humanity is dependent on the luck of birth right then we limit opportunity to those that could change the world for the better only if they had the right connections and network.

People that are not intellectually humble are corrupt in a way that limits their resources from going to better humans able to do better things.

Annesha Kar Gupta
    Participant

Thanks Dagny,

I just collected the book. Hope to read it soon & will have a debate on it.

Profile photo of Dagny
    Dagny
    Participant

I just ran across this fact, “Only 1% of Germans said using contraception is “morally unacceptable,” while 65% in Pakistan agreed with that statement”

Being corrupt is more than just skirting the laws. Different cultures corrupt humanity by not using rational reason to live their lives. They increase population and have no way to support more children. Why should the UN feed corrupt people? It is against sustainable goals to not plan for your children.

luissega
    Participant

I don’t think “corrupt” is the proper word for this behaviour or people or culture. They can be misguided, wrong or foolish, but not corrupt. This word implies a wish to do something evil, with all knowledge, not ignorance or foolishness.
    People and societies must be taught but if we are facing an urgent problem, the State must implement tough laws even if against customary uses. I don’t believe China’s policies in the 50s of one child per couple was wrong if the country was coupling extreme poverty with population explosion and I think more countries should be courageous enough to do the same and not pay attention to religious and cultural leaders, which are proving an actual world problem.

Profile photo of Dagny
      Dagny
      Participant

Perhaps corrupt is too strong a word for leadership demanding the citizens have more children so they can conquer their enemies.

Let me say I want to agree with Annesha concerning the aforementioned topic especially in the area where she said  … “if we can became transparent that every single penny of international aid is used properly,” … “then that was extremely helpful for us to reach our” goals.

Taking Nigeria for example, most times, when the government wants to reach out to the grassroots let us say giving out mosquito nets, for instance, we always get it wrong with the kind of resources used to achieve this aim, which at the end of the day, the number of people who gets the nets is smaller compared to the planned.   Sometimes you see those nets end up in the marketplace for sale and you will be wondering how those nets got to the marketplace.

I remember Bill Gate once encouraged the resources of Polio to be used even long after polio is gone, in one article around 2013 or 2014.  I highly agree with him, having worked in polio programme since 2010, I believe if the government uses the resources in use in the polio programme to distribute the nets in this case, it surely would get to a higher percentage of the citizens it is intended for.

Why Polio resources?  Because to me, it is the only avenue where sincere qualitative and adequate monitoring exist considering the systematic house-to-house way of their activities, having several monitoring measures traditionally and technologically which gives room for great transparency unlike other programmes/projects or initiatives where monitoring barely or do not even exist at all not because those in charge do not know the value of importance of monitoring, but because some have interest in the resources been worked on ot have a share in it for themselves and or family.

1. Data: Polio programme gathers enough up to date data of every community especially in Northern Nigeria, be it population data, location data (regarding accessing communities etc),
    2. Human resources:  The Polio team, understands all the community(ies) where they work, they know who has what, and schedule of people in the community when you talk about maternal and child activities.  For clarification, these set of people knows every household(s), they know when there is a newborn in the community, they sometimes know when a family goes in and out of the community when to get the head of household for resolution in the case of non-compliant cases, when there is a visitor in the community, when there is death occurrence, when a child is above polio immunization age etc.
    3. other resources: Like using the traditional heads system to reach out to the community for resolution of non-compliance or use their houses as a take-off point for the team during immunization exercises or as an assembly point for meetings for central immunization points in the case where health post is not within reach, etc.  Also, the various health post where the Team get the vaccines and other materials as well as converge for taking off.

So back to Annesha’s statement, corruption is not just when money exchange hands it starts from when a person puts his/her interest above the major interest for which is intended in carrying out duties beneficial to all.  Honestly, it will be a great thing if our government(s) in Africa can put aside individual interest, be transparent and use the right resources in addition to sincere good governance to achieve the SDGs, to get Africa out of the state we are at present.

How do we get our government to be sincere in good governance, be selfless and use the right resources?  By teaching Peace transformation, peace behaviour in our youth of today in order to change their perception of selfishness which leads to corrupt behaviour to selflessness which will lead to good governance in every society.

Annesha Kar Gupta
      Participant

Hello mfalodun,

Absolutely, you understand me correctly. Africa has excellent talent. Most of my friends are British & African.

One of my friend from Zambia was so brilliant that he studied & passed 11 law subjects from University of London & achieved Diploma in Law degree in one year.

Why UN taking monies from developed countries?

To give benefit to these people. Not only for education, but also for food, shelter, security. So, that they can think for grater interest of their of their society or country’s welfare.

So, let’s be fair to both of them those who are paying & those who are receiving the aid. Because it is our money. We are paying tax to government from which government is paying to UN or others as aid & once the aid has been given then that became the property of common rural or urban people of that country where government or persons who are spending that money are just intermediary & nothing more than that.

So, let’s be fair & transparent to every common people.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.