Conflicting ideas creating barriers behind sustainable development goals…

Home Peer Review Conflicting ideas creating barriers behind sustainable development goals…

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Annesha Kar Gupta Annesha Kar Gupta 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Annesha Kar Gupta
    Annesha Kar Gupta
    Participant

Firstly, to remove poverty or to ensure human rights, we need democracy. Generally, people think that democracy means liberty, but it cannot guarantee so. For example, India, Freedom is granted at Article 19 of Constitution of India, but you cannot express your views freely. You will be condemned or harassed. Unless we are able to guarantee 100% democracy or liberty, it can frustrate the goals of SDG. So, my first question is, how can we guarantee 100% liberty in every country?

Secondly, spreading business lies in SDG for economic development. It cannot ensure 100% democracy. Spreading business can spread both democracy or on contrary concentration of power. Concentration power raises abuse of power, corruption, rising of poverty, unemployment, inflation, & hunger etc. If any country develops concentration of power, instead increasing democracy, then that can also frustrate the goals behind SDG. Changing ruling from dictatorship to democracy cannot solely help us to ensure democracy. As mentioned earlier that if we cannot ensure 100% democracy & liberty, we cannot meet the goals of SDG. How can we face this problem?

Profile photo of Dagny
    Dagny
    Participant

Democracy is tyranny of the ignorant masses. You can not make decisions that require some suffering by the masses. Liberty rights end where the next persons rights begin. Liberty in your private land is not the same as liberty in public places. In the public domain there is social contract in treating others according to civil laws. Poverty and unemployment is due to ignorance and lack of abilities. You can not have humans rights when nature does not support human rights. Humans are animals trying to survive in an limited environment when those best able survive do and those not able to survive do not.

Morals, human rights, and ethics are imperfect human constructs. Fix the laws to conform with nature and abilities.

Profile photo of luissega
    luissega
    Participant

To remove poverty you must change both elites and populations mindsets: why China, Southeastern Asia and Japan were able to progress and South America couldn’t. They both had dictatorhips which possibly were equally corrupt. The difference, I’m afraid is that Asia and China had a possitive mindset and common purposes and working and learning habits.
    In my home country, why Northern Spain (including Catalonia) is benefitting from Democracy with prosperous civil societies while South Spain with the same laws and Democracy is losing ground and perpetuating a high level of unemployment and crisis?
    I don’t see democracy and human rights coming by themselves but as a result of some minimum level of wellbeing and with a minimum middle class taking roots. But to really improve, people’s ideas, activities and purposes must help.

Profile photo of Annesha Kar Gupta
    Annesha Kar Gupta
    Participant

Hello Dagny,

Firstly, I want to say that I am disagreeing with you when you are saying “Democracy is tyranny of the ignorant masses.” Democracy is not ignoring the mass. Secondly, tyranny means one ruler’s ruling which can be good or bad. Tyranny does not sacrosanctly means bad ruler. Democracy is the voice of people under which liberty lies, but democracy cannot guarantee liberty always. For example, your identity card or National DNA database is violation of your privacy & privacy considered as liberty. If any government tap your telephone for reason of national security, you cannot stop them because it’s for your safety, but it is a violation of your liberty of privacy, which government was elected by you through vote casting.

Now Luissega,

Let me quote your comments & have debate with you:-

• To remove poverty you must change both elites and populations mindsets: why China, Southeastern Asia and Japan were able to progress and South America couldn’t. They both had dictatorhips which possibly were equally corrupt. The difference, I’m afraid is that Asia and China had a possitive mindset and common purposes and working and learning habits.

Dictatorship cannot remove poverty. Asia is a big province which include many countries. What I am trying to say is that Dictatorship cannot remove poverty, also democracy cannot. Spreading business is one of SDG goals. Democracy says, if we spread business, it many concentrate money to group of people only. For example, Bangladesh. So, we need to be careful while spreading business that business contracts must be distributed evenly.

• In my home country, why Northern Spain (including Catalonia) is benefitting from Democracy with prosperous civil societies while South Spain with the same laws and Democracy is losing ground and perpetuating a high level of unemployment and crisis?

Absolutely that I said earlier that democracy can’t guarantee you everything. It can give you a guideline only which we require to be followed strictly.

• I don’t see democracy and human rights coming by themselves but as a result of some minimum level of wellbeing and with a minimum middle class taking roots. But to really improve, people’s ideas, activities and purposes must help.

If there is no middle class, then there will two class, one is elite & the other is poor. Again, elite class will rule & Democracy will gone.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.